A man has been convicted of the "brutal" manslaughter of a 29-year-old woman in Newham.

Yahya Aboukar, 27, was remanded in custody at Snaresbrook Crown Court yesterday (Thursday, November 17) after being found guilty of killing Kirsty Ashley on Boxing Day, 2021.

During the trial, Aboukar's defence claimed he 'lost control' after Ms Ashley became violent and offered a guilty plea to manslaughter. The jury found him not guilty of Kirsty's murder and convicted him of manslaughter.

He is due to appear for sentencing at Snaresbrook Crown Court today (Friday, November 18).

Police had been called to an address in Earlham Grove, Newham, on Boxing Day (December 26) 2021. 

Inside the address, in Aboukar's bedroom, officers found signs of a struggle, including a bar weight, a claw hammer and clothing, all of which was stained with blood.

Aboukar had fled the bedroom via the window.

Newham Recorder: Kirsty's body was found in the gardenKirsty's body was found in the garden (Image: Metropolitan Police)

He was located by officers nearby and, after a brief foot chase, was detained and arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm.

Kirsty Louise Ashley's body was found in the back garden along with a section of blood-stained carpet from the bedroom in a black bin bag.

Aboukar was further arrested on suspicion of murder.

CCTV enquiries by homicide officers would later show Aboukar dragging Kirsty's body into the garden.

A post-mortem examination took place on December 27 at East Ham Mortuary and gave the cause of Kirsty’s death as blunt force trauma.

The injuries were mainly to her face and head, causing fractures and hemorrhages. Injuries to her hand indicated that she had tried to shield herself from the blows.

A neuropathologist surmised that she had been repeatedly struck in the face with a very heavy object, such as the bar bell or the claw hammer.

He believed that she would not have survived more than 30 minutes following the attack.

Kirsty and Aboukar had known each other since 2020 and were in a relationship of sorts.

In a police interview, Aboukar claimed that he and Kirsty had spent Christmas Day watching TV in bed but began to argue.

He said that Kirsty had become violent, at which point he had hit her twice. He claimed that she struck her head on the bar bell as she fell.

Aboukar previously appeared for trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court on October 27 charged with Ms Ashley's murder.

During trial Aboukar's defence was that he "lost control" and his defence offered a guilty plea to manslaughter.

The jury found him not guilty of Kirsty's murder and convicted him of manslaughter.

Detective Inspector Francis Copley, of the Met's Specialist Crime Command, said: "Kirsty Ashley weighed just 8 stone 2lbs, she was no match for Aboukar and could not defend herself against him."

DI Copley added: "The attack launched on Kirsty by Aboukar was incredibly brutal. There can be no justification for this level of violence and it is right that he will now pay for his actions with his freedom.

"My thoughts are very much with Kirsty's family today."