The London Fire Brigade (LFB) has confirmed the cause of a major fire at a scrap metal recycling yard in Silvertown over the weekend. 

It comes after ten fire engines carrying around 70 firefighters from across Plaistow, East Ham, Poplar, Stratford and surrounding fire stations were called to the blaze in Thames Road on February 17.

The cause of the fire has now been confirmed as the failure of a lithium battery and the emergency is being treated as accidental.

A spokesperson for the LFB said: "Lithium batteries should not be placed in the same bins as your regular rubbish or recycling. If they overheat, they may cause it to catch fire.

Newham Recorder: The smoke was a cause for concern for nearby businesses and homeownersThe smoke was a cause for concern for nearby businesses and homeowners (Image: London Fire Brigade)

"Instead, check your local authority's website for the safest way to dispose of lithium batteries in your area.

RELATED: Silvertown scrap metal yard fire in Newham emits thick smoke

"Lithium batteries store a significant amount of energy in a very small space and are much more powerful compared to other types of batteries. If that energy is released in an uncontrolled way, then a fire or explosion may result.

"Batteries can present a fire risk if they're overcharged, short circuited, submerged in water or damaged, so it's really important to protect them against being crushed and dispose of them safely."

Several tonnes of scrap metal caught alight in the fire and a stack was destroyed. 

No injuries were reported but the severity of the fire and the smoke it produced forced locals to keep their windows and doors shut. 

A scientific advisor was on scene monitoring the air quality. 

The fire was called in at 4.33am and crews had it under control by 9.10am, with fire crews staying on the scene into the afternoon. 

A 32-metre turntable ladder from Greenwich Fire Station was used as a water tower to fight the fire, with the drone team assisting.