A fire in a housing block in Newham has damaged part of a flat.

London Fire Brigade were called to Agnes George Walk in Silvertown at 3.01pm yesterday (February 28) after a blaze was caused by unattended cooking in the kitchen.

Firefighters from Poplar, East Ham, Stratford and Millwall fire stations attended the scene and brought the fire under control by 3.32pm.

The Brigade revealed that no injuries were reported in the incident, but the blaze damaged part of a three-roomed flat on the third floor.

Read More: Search for man who masturbated on Elizabeth Line train

It issued a reminder to the public that fires are more likely to start in the kitchen than any other room in the home, and cooking safety advice must be followed.

A spokesperson for the force said: “You can keep safe by following our simple cooking tips such as never placing anything that can catch fire near the hob.

“Keep all objects, like tea towels, cloths, plastic bowls and anything flammable well away from the cooker and always check the hob is turned off when you've finished cooking. 

“If you do have to leave the room, turn off the heat and never leave cooking unattended”.

Trying to extinguish the fire by one’s own self, the spokesperson added, could lead to injuries or even be fatal and can increase the risk of more severe damage to the property.

“Leave the room, close the door, shout a warning to others and call 999”, the Brigade said.