Officers have relocated themselves after a police station roof was completely destroyed in a fire.

The Metropolitan Police is assuring that neighbourhood patrols will continue as normal while officers adjust to the move following the blaze which 175 firefighters spent hours tackling on March 6.

Road closures around the station remain in place days after the fire and officers are positioned around the cordon, with the public encouraged to approach them.

Newham Recorder: The aftermath of the fireThe aftermath of the fire (Image: Olivia Carter)

Forensics and specialist units have been accommodated at a number of places across Newham and Waltham Forest, while the 999 response team is based at Plaistow Police Station on Barking Road.

A mobile front counter has been set up at Stratford Police Station, West Ham Lane, which is open 24/7.

Anyone returning on bail or needing to sign in will have been contacted and given further instructions. When Stratford police station front counter is fully open they will need to report there.

Newham Recorder: The aftermath of the fireThe aftermath of the fire (Image: Olivia Carter)

Most officers and staff have had their equipment re-issued and this work will continue throughout this weekend.

Detective Superintendent Charles Clare, overseeing the recovery operation today, said: “As our London Fire Brigade colleagues continue to investigate the cause of the fire, I am pleased to report that our policing service to the communities of Newham remains unchanged.

“Our continuity plan is now well under way, and our 999 response officers have been relocated to Plaistow Police Station which will serve as our patrol base. While the building itself is a work in progress, we have all we need to ensure policing for communities in Newham is uninterrupted.

“I am incredibly proud of the way my officers have changed their shifts at short notice, shared uniform and kit and flexed to fit around an awful set of circumstances in order to ensure business as usual for policing in Newham.”