A fire in a Newham maisonette was caused by smoking materials not being disposed of safely, London Fire Brigade has said.

Firefighters were called at 2.01pm on Sunday (May 5) after a blaze was reported at a home in Forest Street, Forest Gate.

The two-bedroom ground floor maisonette was partially destroyed in the incident.

A woman left the building before the brigade arrived and was assessed by London Ambulance Service staff.

The brigade said the fire was under control by 3.03pm.

The force said the fire is being treated as accidental and is believed to be caused by smoking materials that were not disposed of safely.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "If you're a smoker, it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it. If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.

“Firefighters recommend that you have a look at our online Home Fire Safety Checker to make sure there are no hidden hazards in your home."

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Leytonstone, Leyton, Plaistow and East Ham fire stations attended the scene.