The cause of a fire that damaged much of a terraced house has been revealed.

Firefighters were called at around 2.45pm on Tuesday (May 7) to Heigham Road, East Ham, to reports of a blaze.

Six fire engines and 40 firefighters worked to contain the blaze for over an hour.

Read More: Heigham Road East Ham fire: People told to avoid the area

Most of the first floor, part of the roof and a small part of the ground floor of the two-storey terraced house was damaged. No injuries were reported.

An investigation found the cause was the unsafe use of a candle.

Crews from East Ham, Leytonstone, Ilford, and surrounding fire stations brought the blaze under control by 4.11pm.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from anything else that can easily catch alight.”