Two men who shot a teenager from a car before stabbing him twice in the chest in a gang feud have been convicted of his murder.

Awadh Saleh, 25, of Chesterton Terrace, Plaistow and Rio Burton-Devine, 25, of Burder Close, Dalston, were found guilty of killing Abubakarr ‘Junior’ Jah, 18, in 2021 after a trial at the Old Bailey on Thursday (May 9).

He was murdered shortly after the fourth anniversary of his brother Ahmed Deen-Jah's death in a stabbing in Freemasons Road on April 2, 2017.

Junior was killed in Coolfin Road, Custom House, on April 26, 2021. The Metropolitan Police and London Ambulance Service were called to reports of a stabbing.

Newham Recorder: Awadh Saleh, 25, of Chesterton Terrace in Plaistow Awadh Saleh, 25, of Chesterton Terrace in Plaistow (Image: Met Police)Despite their efforts, Junior died at the scene.

A murder investigation was launched and detectives gathered and analysed thousands of hours of CCTV footage, forensic and phone evidence.

Video clips showed that at around 2.44pm that day, a Land Rover Discovery SUV stopped close to Junior, and as he walked close to it, he was shot in the chest within seconds.

The court heard that the driver of the car, later identified as Saleh, then got out and walked around to Junior, stabbing him twice in the chest with a large knife.

Newham Recorder: Rio Burton-Devine, 25, of Burder Close in DalstonRio Burton-Devine, 25, of Burder Close in Dalston (Image: Met Police)The car was then reportedly set on fire near Routemaster Close in Plaistow. Forensic examination revealed that Junior’s DNA was present on one of the doors. A fingerprint was also found belonging to Burton-Devine.

A further phone analysis by officers uncovered that the men had been together in the hours leading up to the murder. It also placed confirmed that they had been in the car that was used for the murder.

Both the suspects denied involvement, but detectives believe that while they did not know Junior, the attack was due to a feud between rival gangs.

They were found guilty of his murder, and of possession of a gun with intent to endanger life. Saleh was additionally found guilty of carrying a pointed/bladed article.

They will be sentenced at the Old Bailey on Wednesday (June 12) next.

Detective Inspector Gary Harreman, who led the investigation, said Junior was killed just four years after his brother, Ahmed Deen-Jah, and his family have been through “unimaginable suffering”.

“Junior’s life was suddenly and inexplicably cut short by two men who set out that day on a ‘rideout’, intent on carrying out the most brutal act of violence against anyone they believed may be linked to rival gangs.

“They believed they could get away with their crimes but despite the length of time passed, our team never gave up fighting for justice for Junior and his family”, he added.

Junior’s family, he said, showed “great strength” throughout the investigation but they continue to fight for justice for Ahmed who died in April 2017.

“Seven years has passed since his murder, but we know people’s allegiances can change over time.

“Anyone who has information is asked to call police on 101 or alternatively contact independent charity Crimestoppers completely anonymously on 0800 555 111", he appealed.