For the second week running, Leyton Orient surrendered a goal lead to fall to defeat.

Leading 1-0 at half-time thanks to a George Moncur penalty, Orient then coughed up two goals of their own making, defensive mistakes allowing Mason Bennett and Aristote Nsiala to score in the space of four minutes and give Burton Albion a 2-1 victory.

It followed a loss one week earlier to Barnsley where the Tykes had scored twice after the break and O's boss Richie Wellens felt his side had dropped their levels after the interval.

Newham Recorder: Leyton Orient celebrate their goal against Burton Albion. Picture: TGS PHOTOLeyton Orient celebrate their goal against Burton Albion. Picture: TGS PHOTO (Image: TGS Photo)

He said: "I think they’ve had three shots on target and they’ve scored from two of them.

"In the last two home games the opposition have scored five goals and we’ve only faced six shots after we’ve dominated possession.

"I think the performance first half was excellent and we could have been two or three-nil up.

"Maybe we could have moved the ball quicker, but we were playing against a team who came here to defend and sit back.

"We were passing along the back and we wasn’t clever enough and went safe and played to the full-back and we can’t play like that.

"Fair play to Burton as they stayed in the game and got a smash and grab. We haven’t got the squad to push. We still have a small opportunity but this 10 per cent drop off is huge for us.

“Second half right from the kick-off we went backwards to our goalkeeper who slips and had to do a Cryuff turn to get out of trouble. It was far too slow.

"Then we went long ball time and time again and we didn’t squeeze."

Newham Recorder: Leyton Orient manager Richie Wellens. Picture: TGS PHOTOLeyton Orient manager Richie Wellens. Picture: TGS PHOTO (Image: TGS Photo)

The first half had proved an uneventful period with the home side, despite enjoying 83 per cent possession, struggling to break down Albion’s five-man backline.

The stalemate was broken on 43 minutes when Shaq Forde moved into the box before being brought down by Tolaji Bola.

Moncur converted from 12 yards.

They were galvanised when Omar Beckles gave the ball away in the 72nd minute and Mark Helm picked out Bennett for the equaliser.

Four minutes later, O’s keeper Sol Brynn hesitated when he came to meet a Joe Powell set-piece and Nsiala stabbed the ball home from six yards to put the visitors in front.

Burton boss Martin Paterson felt his half-time team talk paid off, giving them a second successive win on the road for the visitors.

He said: "I spoke to the players at half-time and I think that was the difference because Orient led at half-time but didn’t have a clear-cut chance and only scored from the penalty which was a poor piece of defending.

"We knew Orient are a really good team that are possession based so we set up a certain way.

"However within that, I was disappointed we didn’t see the triggers at certain times so sometimes players need education, help and encouragement.

“I’ll be positive about Orient because they have a clear identity but I knew if we could stay in the game and tweak things tactically with our substitutions, we could get something.

"They shaded it first half but second we definitely did, so I’m delighted with the result."