Leyton Orient boss Richie Wellens admitted he had deliberately celebrated in front of the Stevenage fans after guiding the O's to victory at the Lamex.

Max Sanders' goal on 16 minutes was enough to give Orient a 1-0 at the Lamex Stadium and Wellens had gone in front of the man core of Boro support after the final whistle, hoisting an imaginary trophy in front of them.

He was intercepted by home captain Dan Sweeney and that sparked a scuffle between players and staff of both sides.

Wellens said: "The fans were giving it and if they want to give their money and abuse me, I love it when it comes back at you.

"It was only a little trophy lift, and Sweeney came at me. If I do it with the supporters, they laugh at me and I laugh at them.

"I didn’t need to do it, but we have come here on the bare bones and given our supporters a good day out, so why shouldn’t we do it?"

The three points dumped Stevenage out of the play-off places and kept Orient's hope of sneaking into the top six well and truly alive.

However, with games running out, Wellens was playing down their chances.

He said: "Five points is fine, but it is the seven games [which] is too little. We are chasing too many good teams and they won’t lose enough points.

"There is no chance."

The winning goal came after Sanders was given time and space in the box, moving it to the right side and flashing a shot across Craig MacGillivray and in.

Stevenage striker Jamie Reid thought he had pulled his side level but referee Craig Hicks disallowed his goal for handball against Jordan Roberts.

Boro’s top scorer should have scored moments later but put an unmarked header straight at Sol Brynn as Orient survived again.

In truth these were rare forays by the home side with Orient comfortable, and it led to Steve Evans making four substitutions at the interval.

That had an impact in the early going of the second period but Roberts and Reid were both on target with efforts and Nick Freeman's shot was straight down the throat of Brynn.

And in the end Orient could have doubled their advantage, Omar Beckles heading straight at MacGillivray late on.

Boro manager Evans was left hugely frustrated with the officials and also with his own players.

He said: "We were very poor in the first half, as poor as we've been at the Lamex. 

"We lacked everything we're good at, particularly energy, getting hold of the ball and turning them with a bit of quality. 

"We had none of that. 

"We've gone in at half time and we made four changes, it could have been nine or 10. 

"The changes worked and territorially we've laid siege to their box without really creating anything.

"And the one or two good chances that come, we don’t take and we pay the price."